Once again it’s time for me to head to Aruba for the winter. The summer in upstate NY was hot and sunny but without much wind. And while we had a good fall on the ABK tour, I always look forward to the warm, sunny weather in the Caribbean and sailing on Aruba's Blue Highway. Oh yeah, still no snow in the forecast there!
Stay tuned here as once again I'll be bringing you news and pictures from the Vela Resort and the island of Aruba... and hopefully getting everyone excited about visiting us for a great time sailing. Come and try out the new 2011 JP and Starboard boards with Neil Pryde sails, and maybe even a little partying!
As the weather up in NY turns somewhat windurfing-unfriendly, I thought I’d start out with my Top 10 reasons to go to Aruba this winter:
- 1. A successful 2010 ABK US tour is over
- 2. The temperature hasn’t gone above 32 deg F for 6 days in a row
- 3. Newspaper headlines read: "Syracuse Area Sets Daily Snow Record for Second Day"... follow-up headline reads: "90+ Hours of Continual Snow"
- 4. I shoveled the driveway for the 3rd time in one day
- 5. The annual Ice Fishing Show is now at the New Yor State Fair Grounds (bummer I’ll miss it again)
- 6. Aruba weather report – 85 deg, sunny, and winds East @ 20-knots!
- 7. The Vela new 2011 JP and Starboard boards and Neil Pryde sails are scheduled to arrive (although I’d like to miss all the rigging)
- 8. Unlike the lake here in upstate NY, the pool in Aruba is not covered by a layer of ice
- 9. Our friends/landlords in Aruba have the beer in the fridge... the only place you'll find any ice!
- 10. The snow is a lot higher than my flips when I carry my Fanatic Skate to the beach
Stay tuned for news and pics of the sailing, guests, and maybe even some fun we’re having this winter at Vela Aruba.
PS. I really didn't need the top 10 reasons to want to head Aruba, but hope they help get you thinking…